2018-’19 State Budget Priorities
The CLEAR Coalition’s member organizations — and the 1.1 million Pennsylvanians they represent — are urging lawmakers to support Governor Wolf’s proposals for a fair, balanced state budget that funds our schools and vital services; protects good-paying jobs for middle-class families; and fixes our tax code to make sure all corporations and Marcellus Shale drillers pay their fair share.
Governor Wolf’s 2018-19 Budget Proposal:
- Calls for a statewide tax on the shale drillers that would generate at least $250 million in new revenues.
- Calls for lawmakers to raise the minimum wage to $12 an hour.
- Increases aid for public school operations and instruction by $100 million.
- Modernizes our state’s tax structure to make sure that corporations pay their fair share.
- Increases aid to Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education by $15 million.
- Increases aid for programs to expand high-demand computer and industrial skills training in high schools and colleges by $53 million.
CLEAR’s members will be meeting with lawmakers across the state in the coming weeks urging them to come together and support Gov. Wolf’s vision for our Commonwealth.
We have developed a Budget Tool Kit for Pennsylvanians who want to tell their lawmakers to support the governor’s proposals. This Tool Kit is easy to use and includes CLEAR’s budget priorities, sample letters to lawmakers, and contact information for every lawmaker.
If you have any questions or suggestions, please visit our Facebook Page.
- CLICK HERE for a Summary of the CLEAR Coalition’s 2018-19 Budget Priorities.
- CLICK HERE for information on contacting your state lawmakers.
Sample Letters to lawmakers:
The CLEAR Coalition has drafted two SAMPLE letters for guidance. It is important to make sure that you use your own words and you share your own, specific concerns.
Dear Senator ________,
My name is _____ and I have lived in ______ for many years now. I am writing to urge you to support Governor Tom Wolf’s proposals to fix our state budget mess and fund our public schools, colleges and important state services.
We need to make sure that the state is paying its fair share for our schools. I am urging you to support Governor Tom Wolf’s proposal to increase public education funding. In addition, like most Pennsylvanians, I support a statewide tax on the Marcellus shale drillers. They should not get a free ride.
I also support raising the minimum wage, which will increase wages for all working families.
It is time for all lawmakers to work together with the governor to address our budget problems.
Dear Representative _______,
I am writing to urge you to support raising the state minimum wage and a tax on the shale drillers to make sure our public schools are funded and my children can receive a good education. Governor Tom Wolf has proposed increasing school funding and taxing the shale drillers to help pay for this funding and I believe all lawmakers should support this approach.
This is just common sense. Every other state that has a natural gas industry charges a statewide tax. In addition, most of this tax would be paid to consumers who do not even line in Pennsylvania.
Please show your support for your constituents and all Pennsylvanians by voting to impose a fair and reasonable shale tax.